Arguably, we all feel the need for a speed indicator to be on our phone as well as PC’s. You may not have heard about NetSpeedMonitor an Internet speed meter/monitor for PC. We will walk you through its installation.
Though it doesn’t help in increasing our internet speed, we all agree on one thing, it helps in monitoring our connectivity, and by monitoring, I mean, the need to check if the internet is working as expected or not.
Nearly all Chinese Android smartphones have internet speed monitors integrated within their custom OS, and for smartphones in which they are not available, you can download one from Google’s Playstore. But what if you want to monitor your internet speed, in your PC. Is there any option available?
Here at Techniche, we too needed such software. Lot of google searches, trying a varied amount of software’s from freeware to trial-ware to resource-hungry tricks, I was about to give up. Hopefully, I found one freeware (donationware) available for PC. ‘NetSpeedMonitor’ an internet speed meter/monitor, was last updated on March 22, 2019 and is still in beta– a 100% Safe – Freeware (claimed by Softpedia).
Now, I may have lured you in, as we all are big fans of freeware, the best part is that it sits quietly in your taskbar, and runs close to your system time. You can check Upload and Download speeds, as well as data traffic daily and monthly. You can even export your details. If you have multiple media for internet connections, you can monitor each one of them. Just play software settings. Leaving that on you.
Some known issues are there like it is not compatible with Windows 8.0 or higher. But there is a very simple way around. Compatibility mode. Yes, install the freeware in compatibility mode and done. It works like charm.
Step by step instruction to install NetSpeedMonitor:
(Tip: You can click on blue words to go to link directly)
- Downloading: Click on ‘NetSpeedMonitor’ to go on the download page. Click on ‘DOWNLOAD NOW’ button on the page. A pop up window will appear. Select x86 for 32 bit OS or x64 for 64 bit OS. In case you are not aware of your OS bit version, go with x86 option.
- If the link doesn’t work, you can always go for a google search. Search for NetSpeedMonitor. Download it from any of the software hosting sites. I prefer ‘Softpedia’.
- Installation: Once the file downloads, don’t install. Open the download folder/location of the downloaded file. Look for ‘netspeedmonitor_2_5_4_0_… .msi‘ file. Right-click on the file, hover your mouse till last, and select ‘Properties’.
- In the properties window, navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick the checkbox ‘Run in compatibility mode for’, and select either Previous versions of windows or any windows versions before Windows 8.0.
- Click OK. Now double click on the program to install it.
- After installation, right-click anywhere on empty taskbar space. If space is not available, close any program.
- Hover over Toolbars, there you will find NetSpeedMonitor. Click on it, and it will appear in your taskbar.