Microsoft has released the Windows Insider Preview build for Windows 11 in the Dev Channel, for the users to try and experience. Insider Preview has been released officially on 28th June 2021, with almost all the features of the upcoming release. Next month we can expect the Beta Channel, but no need to adjust the channel settings, says Microsoft.
Bye Bye Features
Some old features of Windows 10 is completely removed as mentioned below:
- Internet Explorer will be removed completely and replaced by Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft Wallet Applications are also removed in Windows 11.
- Windows 10 exclusives – One Note, Paint 3D, 3D Viewer, Skype are also removed in Windows 11. But they are available in store to load whenever needed.
- Quick Status, Timeline, Wallet are removed.
Some features like snipping tool, Taskbar, Tablet Mode are evolved with new changes.
Minimum System Requirements to download Windows 11
- Processor : 64 bit
- RAM : 4GB
- Display : 720p HD display that is > 9” diagonally, 8 bits/color channel
- System firmware : UEFI, Secure Boot (software signals b/w motherboard & OS)
- TPM : Trusted Platform Module V2.0 (hardware-based, security-related functions)
- Graphics Card : Compatible with DirectX 12 or later
- Storage : minimum 64GB
- Internet Connection : All the time(for installation, for updates, download etc)
- Microsoft Account : For some features setup alone
These are all the minimum requirements to install Windows 11. You can also use the PC Health Check app to verify whether your system is compatible for Windows 11 installation. For each feature specific different requirements arise which is understandable. For example, AutoHDR requires HDR Monitor, Intelligent Video Conferencing requires Camera, Speaker, Microphone, etc.
How to Install Windows 11 Insider Preview?
Before installation, take a backup of your files/data.
- In your computer,
- Go to Settings>Update and Security>Windows Insider Program
- Click on “Get Started” and link your Microsoft Account Information.
- Select “Dev Channel” and confirm. Keep clicking “Next” until the installation is over.
- Another way is to visit the ‘Windows Insider’ and ‘Register’.
Sign In using your Microsoft account and follow the instructions. After registration, Go to ‘Start Menu’ and go to ‘Settings’. Tap ‘Update and Security’ and check the available updates.
Experience the Insider
After the installation is successful, experience the new OS Insider preview of Windows 11. It is expected to make you feel “Out of box experience”. We have spoken a lot about Windows 11 features such as display improvements, multitasking, docking, voice typer, touch gestures, etc in our previous posts. Please refer to them for more details on the features to explore in the Insider version.
Few of the features are not completely done in this release. There are some known issues that will be addressed in the upcoming releases.
|New Features in Windows 11||Position and Short Key if any||Try Out Features||Known Issue in Build 22000.51|
|Start Menu||CenteredWIN+R||Explore recommended section with recently opened||Sometimes unable to enter text in Search box|
|Taskbar||Centered||Try out pinning, switching, rearranging etc features in taskbar||-Not shown in multiple monitors.-Preview window will not display the entire window.|
|Settings||Lower Right of TaskbarWIN+A||PC settings like volume, brightness, WiFi, bluetooth, focus assist, media playback control||-Doesn’t support multiple user launches.-‘Power Mode’ settings not shown up.-Green flash might appear while launching.-Quick setting accessibility changes may not be saved properly.|
|Microsoft Store||Desktop||Early preview||-Install button may not work properly-Rating and reviews not available for some apps|
|Widgets||TaskbarWIN+W||Add/remove widgets, rearrange, resize, customize the content||-cropped widgets-empty widget board-unsync widgets in real time -multiple widgets may not work properly|
Android Application Support and Team chat are completely out of scope of this Insider Preview version.
How to provide feedback on Windows 11 Insider Preview Build?
Though Windows 11 leak versions were around before the Insider Preview, this is an official release by Microsoft. Dev Channel is already in use for the past one year for improvement. Microsoft welcomes feedback for improvement from all the enthusiasts.
Here are the steps to provide your feedback:
- Select the “Start” and search “Feedback Hub” to launch the application and Sign In.
- Select “Feedback” and search for the like issues.
- If there is already a similar issue, you can update your points there and link to existing.
- For new feedback, select “Give New Feedback” and explain in detail.
- Later you have to select the category for your feedback.
- Select the problem that you experienced on the issue.
- Or you can provide your suggestions for improvement.
- You can attach files to the issue, if you have screenshots or other pictures related to the issue.
- Your issues will be reviewed and updated in the comments section.
It’s a nice feeling to be a part of the new OS development phase. Assumptions say, on 20th October 2021, Windows 11 will be released. Stay updated with complete information, following us as usual!